Where will I study?

You will primarily be based in the University to which you applied to for your chosen programme (Brighton, Portsmouth or Southampton). There will however be events and training accessible for all DTP funded students at each of the institutions. For events and training has been organised by the DTP for its students, transport costs between institutions will be reimbursed.

Not all disciplines are accredited at all of our partner institutions. The list below details all available disciplines and at which institution studentships are available.

  • Area Studies – Portsmouth
  • Criminology – Southampton
  • Demography – Southampton
  • Economic and Social History – Southampton
  • Economics – Southampton
  • Education – Southampton
  • Gerontology – Southampton
  • Human Geography – Southampton
  • Linguistics – Southampton
  • Management & Business Studies – Brighton / Southampton
  • Politics & International Relations – Southampton
  • Psychology – Portsmouth / Southampton
  • Social Science Methods for Health Research – Southampton
  • Social Policy – Brighton / Southampton
  • Social Statistics – Southampton
  • Sociology – Southampton

What Masters degree will I be awarded?

All students who are funded by our 1+3 training pathway (Masters+PhD) will undertake our newly created Masters in Social Research Methods (MSRM).

What PhD degree will I be awarded?

Your PhD award will be disciplinary specific and be dependent on the programme on which you are enrolled at your host institution.

Where is the South Coast DTP based?

The South Coast DTP is a consortium of the Universities of Southampton, Portsmouth and Brighton with staff based at each of the partner institutions.

Can I study part-time?

Yes. Students are eligible to receive funding if they wish to carry out their studies on a part time basis. The overall amount of funding received will be the same as that of a full-time student but is paid on a pro-rata basis. ie 3 years full time rate paid at 50% over 6 years.

Can I study by distance learning?

Unfortunately we are not able to fund students wishing to carry our their studies by distance learning


What is 1+3, +3 and +4 funding?

Applicants can apply for 3 different types of funding.

1+3 – Funding is provided for students to undertake the Masters in Social Research Methods followed by 3 further years during PhD funding.

+3 – Students receive 3 years funding whilst undertaking an accredited PhD programme at one fo the partner institutions.

+4 – Occasionally a +4 award will be made available to students who are undertaking research of a particularly interdisciplinary nature. In recognition of the additional training requirements of the research, 4 years funding will be provided whilst undertaking an accredited PhD programme at one of the the partner institutions. Students will be required to complete a tailored programme of 60 ECTS points, identified by the Training Needs Analysis which will be completed shortly after enrolment on the programme.

How much funding will I receive?

In addition to covering the costs of your programme fees, the DTP studentship also provides a basic annual maintenance grant of £14,553 (2017/18 RCUK Rate). This is not classed as income so is therefore not liable for tax.

You will also have access to a Research Training Support Grant (RTSG) to fund attendance at other training courses, conferences or to purchase essential equipment for your research.

SCDTP students are also able to apply for additional funding opportunities such as Overseas Institutional Visits, and Internships.  Further details can be found on our funding webpage.


How do I apply for funding?

To apply for funding you will need to complete 2 applications forms.  You will need to complete an online application form for your programme of study via your chosen institution’s website.

You will also need to complete an SCDTP Funding Application form. If you are applying for a project currently being advertised by the South Coast DTP, please download and complete the form from the link below:

South Coast DTP Project Specific Application Form

If you are applying as part of our general call and wish to submit your own project title for consideration, please download and compete the form from the link below:

South Coast DTP Funding Application Form – General Call

Further details can be found on our ‘How to apply’ webpage.

When is the application deadline?

For entry in the 2018/19 Academic Year, the deadline for the receipt of applications is 11.59pm on 31st January 2018.

When will I know if my application has been successful?

The final selection committee for entry in 2018/19 will be held towards the end of March 2017.  We aim to inform all applicants of the outcome of their application by 6th April 2018.

Do the word count limits on the application form include references?

No. The word count limits on the SCDTP application form are exclusive of references.

Masters in Social Research Methods

How do I apply for the Master’s in Social Research Methods?

As the Masters in Social Research Methods (MSRM) is only available to students funded by the South Coast DTP, you cannot apply directly to that programme.  Successful applicants for 1+3 funding will be transferred to the MSRM programme following the final selection meeting and prior to the start of the 2018/19 Academic Year.

In addition to completing the SCDTP funding application form you should also complete an application form for the relevant discipline based MSc you would complete at your chosen institution should you not be successful in your funding application.  This is to ensure that unsuccessful applicants are not left without a valid MSc programme application in the system.  Should you be successful in your funding application, your MSc Application would be transferred to that of the MSRM programme administered primarily at Southampton (although you would remain based in Brighton or Portsmouth if that was your preference).


What academic qualifications do I need to be eligible?

For all studentships, students must have qualifications of the standard of a good honours degree at first- or upper second-class level, from a UK academic higher education institution. Degree qualifications gained from outside the UK, or a combination of qualifications and/or experience that is equivalent to a relevant UK degree, may be accepted.

The ESRC reserves the right to deal as it sees fit with applications of an unusual character.

+3 Awards – The ESRC expects that applicants embarking on a +3 programme would have achieved a level of research training that would allow them to proceed directly to PhD; this is usually through the attainment of a previous Master’s qualification in the social sciences.

Can I apply for funding if I am not from the United Kingdom?

The South Coast DTP is able to recruit a limited number of overseas and EU students in Economics or Advanced Quantitative Methods.

In all other areas, students must be considered as UK residents.

The legal basis for defining residence eligibility for postgraduate training awards is set down in the Education (Fees and Awards) Regulations 1997. Candidates for awards must have a relevant connection with the United Kingdom. A relevant connection may be established if:

  • The candidate has been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of the studentship grant
  • Has not been resident in the UK, during any part of that three-year period wholly or mainly for the purposes of full time education, and
  • Has settled status in the UK within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971 (ie is not subject to any restriction on the period for which he/she may stay).

For purposes of residence requirements the UK includes the United Kingdom and Islands (ie the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man).
A relevant connection may be established for an EU student if the student has been ordinarily resident in the UK throughout the three-year period preceding the start of the course (including for full-time education).

British citizens are not subject to immigration control but only those other nationals who have been granted written permission to stay in the UK permanently are considered to have settled status.

It is important to note that residential eligibility is based on a physical presence in the UK. British citizenship in itself does not satisfy the residential eligibility requirement.

The Research Councils have agreed a number of underlying principles in relation to the recruitment of non-UK domiciled candidates to Research Council funded studentships. In light of this, ESRC has agreed to relax the rules around international eligibility in strategic areas, allowing fees and stipends to be paid for a limited number of students from outside the UK.

What We've Been Saying @SouthCoastDTP